Popular Posts

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Cheap Fix: My Favorite Drugstore Lip Products for Spring

Ironically, today is the only day this week that has been below 80 degrees, and instead of the sun we've been having it's cloudy and drizzling. But I think that sometimes that just means you need some fun lip products even more to liven things up! Again, I told you that my mood is disproportionately affected by makeup. I don't know if a normal person would wear bright orange lipstick to make themselves feel better. But they should definitely try it!

Pretty spring lip products, gross rainy day

My favorite trend for this spring and summer is really bright and colorful lips, but in a formulation that is very buildable. We saw this in a huge way with the Revlon lip butters and most drugstore brands have now come out with a comparable product. I love these lipsticks/balms because they can be worn from a sheer wash to a super neon lip. Another trend is the Tangerine Tango obsession which I have definitely been brainwashed into. I started off in the wading pool with some coral glosses and then jumped into the deep end with a bright orange lipstick. One thing I love about oranges and corals is that they look great on such a huge variety of skin tones and especially on deeper skin or tanned skin.

My first pick is the Revlon lip butter in Raspberry Pie. Although the lip butters are supposed to be on the sheer side, this shade is super opaque. If you want to use it as a glossy wash, you need to use a light hand, but I love how pigmented it is! It's a beautiful fuschia berry shade that I haven't seen in any other drugstore lipstick and it's one of my favorite lip butters.

Revlon Lip Butter in Raspberry Pie, heavy swatch and sheer swatch

The second lip product is one of the Maybelline Baby Lips, which I think are Maybelline's answer to the lip butters. These are tinted lip balms and like the Revlon lip butters, each shade has a slightly different level of pigmentation. The shade I love, Pink Punch, is more like a sheer lipstick or gloss than a traditional tinted lip balm. Because I have a warmer skin tone, blue based pinks like Pink Punch don't always work on me, but because this product isn't quite a lipstick I think it looks great. It's a really low maintenance way to do a bright pink lip. These are lip balms, so although they have some benefits like moisturizing properties and a 20 SPF, the wear time isn't great (maybe 2 hours) and you do have to reapply a couple times throughout the day.
Maybelline Baby Lips in Pink Punch, sheer swatch and heavy swatch

The next lipstick is also a sheer pink, it's the Rimmel Moisture Renew Lipstick in Pink Chic. Pink Chic is a bright, yellow based pink. I love the Moisture Renew line, they are another drugstore favorite. I find a lot of drugstore lipsticks to be slightly chalky and drying, but these are great creamy lipsticks that are super moisturizing and have an SPF of 18. You do have to be careful though because some of the colors are very frosty and hard to wear, but Pink Chic is a very matte formulation with almost a satin finish. These lipsticks do have a strong perfume-y smell that doesn't go away, so if you are sensitive to that I wouldn't purchase.

Rimmel Moisture Renew Lipstick in Pink Chich, sheer swatch and heavy swatch

The last lipstick is from a recent trip to London and unfortunately isn't available in American drugstores. It's the Barry M Lip Paint in 54, a bright pink toned neon orange. The formulation is matte and very opaque. This shade is right on trend right now, but you might find it a little unwearable because it is so ridiculously bright (which I love because I am crazy), but it is also the perfect shade to layer under a pink lipstick or gloss to make a beautiful coral color. If you are in the UK you should definitely pick this up! I got mine at Boots but I think you can order online from the US.
Barry M Lip Paint No. 54, sheer swatch and heavy swatch


My final pick is also a super trendy coral, the NYX Lip Laquer Pot in Coral-ista, which I've had forever but I've been wearing a ton recently. It's pretty much exactly what it sounds like, a very pigmented orange coral gloss. It's really nice by itself or layered over a pink lipstick. If you want to go full-on coral you could layer this over the Barry M lipstick or another coral for a neon orange look.
NYX Lip Laquer Pot in Coral-ista, sheer swatch and heavy swatch

I love these drugstore products because they are a great way to try out some crazy lip trends on a budget, so you don't end up blowing 20+ dollars on a lipstick you hate. They are all good quality and perfect for a fun spring look! Especially if it's disgusting out and you end up staying in all day with bright orange lips and then you accidentally go to the supermarket looking like a lunatic.

Bonus swatch- my insane looking smile! (Raspberry Pie lip butter worn sheer)